News

'Terrorist on the runí McLaughlin located and remanded

Wednesday, 8 March 2017

'Terrorist on the runí McLaughlin  located and remanded thumbnailDamien McLaughlin.

AN Ardboe man charged in connection with the 2012 murder of Cookstown Prison Officer David Black has finally been located and arrested four months after absconding while on bail.
Damien McLaughlin appeared at the High Court in Dublin on Thursday last and has been remanded in custody until 20 March.
He was arrested and charged following the shooting dead of David Black in November 2012.
McLaughlin was granted bail in May 2014 but had not been seen by Police since last November.
Wearing a grey jumper and blue jeans, McLaughlin, whose address was given as Glenties Road in Belfast, said nothing during his Dublin High Court appearance last Thursday.
He was arrested under a European Arrest Warrant by gardai as part of a joint intelligence-led operation with the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
A Detective Sergeant from the Garda Special Branch told the court McLaughlin was a "terrorist on the run" who was a flight risk and possibly armed, which justified the use of force as he was detained by police. Another man, aged 59, and a woman, 47, were also arrested during the operation.
Det Ch Supt Raymond Murray, from PSNI's Serious Crime Branch, said: "The PSNI has been liaising closely with An Garda Siochana and the arrests demonstrate the benefits of joint working between police forces and other national partner agencies.
"As part of the operation a 59-year old man was also arrested in Donegal and a 47-year-old woman was arrested in Belfast."
Police said senior detectives had contacted the Black family to update them on developments.
Last week the Courier reported that application to hold the trial of McLaughlin had been adjourned.
The 40-year-old from Kilmascally Road, is charged with aiding and abetting murder.
He also stands charged of possessing items to be used in terrorism and belonging to an illegal organisation.
The prosecution submitted that it appeared the accused had absconded in advance of his trial which was due to begin on 20th February.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete