News

Armagh man loses life in fire at home

Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Armagh man loses life in fire at home thumbnailThe property at Culdee Drive, Armagh following the blaze in which Mr Toal died. ND1341

THE FIRE Service is treating as accidental a blaze at a house in Armagh on Friday last in which a local man died.
Despite heroic attempts, Barry Toal, aged 55, lost his life but two other occupants of the property were rescued after a blaze engulfed the family's home in Culdee Drive.
At the height of the inferno, around 30 firefighters fought to bring the fire under control at the mid-terraced house, which was extensively damaged.
Neighbours - who alerted the emergency services to the blaze at 8.36pm - were able to rescue two others, both of whom were later treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Sadly, despite every effort to try and break an upstairs window to rescue Mr Toal using ladders, all attempts proved in vain.
Fire appliances from Armagh Fire Station arrived first at the scene and were quickly joined by crews from Keady and Portadown Fire Stations, as well as a command support unit from Lisburn.
Fire crews commenced firefighting operations on the first floor and roof space, which caused extensive fire and smoke damage to the property.
The fire was quickly brought under control by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using firefighting jets, which prevented it spreading to adjoining properties.
A Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) spokesperson confirmed yesterday (Monday) that the cause of the fire is being treated as "accidental".

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete