News

Traders outraged as plans to ‘close’ Moy for a week announced

Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Traders outraged as plans to ‘close’ Moy for a week announced thumbnailThe busy Charlemont Street Moy where resurfacing roadworks will take place, necessitating closure of the road

TRADERS and residents in Moy are up in arms as disruptive roadworks are thrust upon the town.

TransportNI have confirmed that reconstruction and resurfacing work will be carried out on Charlemont Street and Killyman Street in the town from 6am on Sunday, 6th August.

Work is expected to last until 8am on Thursday, 10th August.

One trader, Ivor Cowan of Field or Stream, has hit out at the decision. He is also critical of TransportNI's decision to carry out such work without conducting a proper consultation with traders.

"We had a meeting with TransportNI who told us they would be closing Killyman Street and Charlemont Street for a week.

"The meeting was arranged by them but they didn't want to hear from us really. It had already been decided. This is what they were going to do and it felt like that was that as far as they were concerned.

"The first we heard of this was on 3rd July when leaflets came through our doors. There are people affected by this decision who don't speak English and have been asking me what the leaflet means.

"How can TransportNI be sure they have correctly assessed the impact of this work if they can't be sure everyone affected has been notified in a way they can understand?"

Mr Cowan also made clear his annoyance at the decision to close both lanes of the road, fearing that this will cut off the town from potential customers.

"This work will completely blockade the town. They are going to divert the traffic through Benburb and noone entering the town from the Dungannon side will be able to get through.

"Residents are up in arms about this decision and it will be a disaster for the businesses on the hill as it will essentially force them to close for a week."

A spokesperson for TransportNI confirmed the work will commence on 6th August and said: "The nature of the proposed works at Charlemont Street necessitate that the road will have to be closed to traffic in both directions to ensure the safety of not only those carrying out the works but the travelling public.

"The works have been programmed to conincide with the school holidays when traffic volumes are lower and to allow the workers to take advantage of the longer summer days."

There are plans for work on the roads to continue overnight. However the spokesperson did admit that due to the nearby commercial and residential properties, the amount of work that can be undertaken will be "limited".

The spokesperson also confirmed that Health and Safety requirements also limit the amount of work that can be done overnight during the hours of darkness.

The decision has also been criticised by Dungannon Councillor Clement Cuthbertson.

"The insistence of TransportNI that the proposed maintenance work to Charlemont Street and Killyman Street will neccessitate the closure of these streets to all vehicular traffic is totally unacceptable," he said.

"To close these roads to all through traffic for such a long period of time will have a detrimental consequence to the businesses of Moy.

"Following on from the first consultation held by TransportNI with Moy businesses, I have contacted the Department regarding the concerns that have been raised with me.

"The affected businesses need to be accommodated and an acceptable plan needs to be put in place as soon as possible before the proposed works are due to commence in Early August."

His Sinn Fein counterpart, Dominic Molloy was also critical of the authority's decision.

"For work of this type the notice supplied is quite short," said Dominic. "We are dealing with a statutory body and they can do what they want. Thankfully, after some discussion the plan has changed slightly and work will begin on the Sunday, not the Monday morning as was originally planned.

"However, I am still concerned about the diversion put in place. I am not sure the routes around Moy will be able to cope with the HGV's that will now have to use them.

"The work does need to be done, but I would like to have at least one more meeting with the Transport NI to discuss the obvious issues that still surround the operation."

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete