News

SECONDS FROM DEATH

Wednesday, 14 February 2018

SECONDS FROM DEATH thumbnailThe burnt-out Peugeot 307.

A FAMILY had a very lucky escape after their car burst into flames in Dungannon on Friday afternoon last, writes Megan Clarke.

Denis Meehan, 54, from outside Emyvale, his wife and two sons, aged 6 and 9, had been in Dungannon for a shopping trip when their Peugeot 307 caught fire on the Granville Road during rush hour.

Speaking to the Tyrone Courier, Denis said he is still in shock after the incident: "After coming off the dual carriage way towards the roundabout, I thought I could smell burning, but my wife thought it was outside. I started to slow down when approaching the roundabout and saw smoke started to rise from the bonnet. I immediately braked and the car burst into flames." Denis said he and his wife instinctively got their children out of the car immediately and got themselves to a safe distance.

"Our two young children were in the back, so we quickly grabbed them and got them out and within seconds you could barely see the car due to the fire and smoke.

It was just unbelievable.

"I asked someone nearby at Murdock's who very kindly contacted the Fire Service and emergency services and, thankfully, they arrived within minutes." Continued Denis: "We got a taxi home after the incident with Philly's Taxi's, but getting home and smelling the smoke on our clothes etc is when the reality of what had happened really sunk in.

"The children were a bit shaken after the incident and I haven't slept much as I've been waking up thinking about it, but thankfully our family is safe." And the Emyvale man had this advice to families carrying young children in vehicles: "So many people leave their children in the car to go in and pay for fuel or get groceries. I would urge people to think again as something like this can happen very suddenly.

"Never leave children alone in the car for a minute." Denis also praised the quick actions of everyone: "I'm so thankful to the NIFRS and the PSNI and everyone at Murdock Builders Merchants for all their help. Words cannot express out gratitude."


A spokesperson for the NIRFS said they were contacted just after 4.30pm. The spokesperson added that the cause of the fire was accidental.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete