News

Arson attack in Castlecaulfield

Wednesday, 9 May 2018

Arson attack in Castlecaulfield thumbnail

POLICE are appealing for information following an arson attack that has destroyed a family home near Castlecaulfield.
The house on the Parkanaur Road was gutted in the early hours of Thursday morning last.
It is understood no-one was in the premises at the time with the family looking to sell the property, having lived there for 16 years.
Firefighters were alerted to the situation at 12.30am on Thursday. Two engines from Dungannon and one from Pomeroy were dispatched and the firefighters dealt with they described as a "well developed bungalow fire".
A spokesperson for the NIFRS confirmed firefighters left the scene at 2.15am.
Speaking afterwards, Sergeant McKinley urged anyone with any information to come forward.
"Whilst our enquiries are at an early stage, we do believe at this time that the fire was started deliberately. I would therefore appeal to anyone who witnessed any suspicious activity in the Parkanaur Road area at the time of the incident to contact us.
"An extensive investigation continues and we will exhaust all avenues. The NIFRS, our local dog unit and Crime Scene Investigators are all working hard to gather the best evidence we can.
"You can assist in these enquiries by contacting Police in Dungannon on 101 quoting reference number 33 03/05/10."
Speaking to the Courier, Dungannon Cllr Walter Cuddy explained how the family had already been looking to move away from the area..
"It is an unfortunate incident but I am thankful that no-one was hurt," he said.
"They family who owned the house were actually looking to sell the property and had already left the premises to move into rented accommodation in Dungannon.
"I would urge anyone who may have seen or heard anything to get in contact with the Police."
His words were echoed by Sinn Fein Cllr Sean McGuigan.
"I strongly condemn this attack and would urge anyone with any information to contact the Police as soon as possible. To attack a family home is a disgrace, he said.
Ulster Unionist Assembly Member Rosemary Barton also condemned the attack.
"Members of my staff visited the scene and expressed our sympathies with the family who had recently moved from the property.
"Fortunately, no one was in the bungalow at the time but the property is completely destroyed as a result of the fire. The PSNI and Fire Service are carrying out a forensic examination of the property to establish the cause of the fire and appealing for any information which could assist with the investigation.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete