News

CASTLEDAWSON BLAZE: MAN HURT

Wednesday, 1 August 2018

CASTLEDAWSON BLAZE: MAN HURT thumbnailRoads into Castledawson were closed due to the fire incident

MAN was taken to hospital with burns after a serious fire led to the evacuation of the village of Castledawson on Wednesday afternoon.
Businesses came to a standstill and nearby homes were evacuated as the Mid-Ulster village became a no-go zone for hours after fears a shed containing gas canisters would explode.
Luckily, there were no serious injuries, although a man was taken to hospital with minor burns after the serious fire shut down the village.
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue (NIFRS) confirmed they were called to deal with the incident around 12.14pm.
Fire crews from Magherafelt and Maghera extinguished the fire and cooled off an acetylene cylinder at the scene on Station Road.
Cordons on all the main and side roads were put in place to prevent traffic and pedestrians from entering the village, and a number of houses and businesses were evacuated near the scene.
The restrictions were lifted just under four hours after emergency crews responded to the incident.
Speaking to the Mid-Ulster Courier, a local business owner described the panic after news spread of an evacuation.
“It was completely surreal. I was standing in my shop when I was notified to leave my premises immediately due to a serious fire and there were fire engines, ambulances and police surrounding the area.
“The neighbouring shops also cleared out and we left the area straight away, but when we stood for hours completely unaware of the situation and we feared the worst.
“It was like nothing I've ever seen in Castledawson before. We lost around four or five hours of business, but I am glad nobody was seriously hurt.
“We are all still shaken from the incident, it was really terrifying!"
A NIFRS spokesperson added: "NIFRS were called to a report of a shed on fire containing a number of gas cylinders including an acetylene cylinder.
“Some homes have been evacuated and a police cordon was in place.
“One man suffered minor burns and the ambulance service were also at the scene."

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete