Dungannon man jailed for manslaughter

Wednesday, 1 August 2018

Dungannon man jailed for manslaughter thumbnailMarius Dzimisevicus leaves Belfast Crown Court on Monday after being sentenced for withholding information in the aftermath of a man's death in a garage in Coalisland."

A 37-year-old man who killed a man and tortured another while under the influence of drink and drugs near Coallisland is to spend 11 years in prison.
Darius Sikorskas of Lambfield House in Dungannon was one of two men involved in beating, shooting and stabbing a man in a drink and drug induced incident in October 2015.
He then turned on his fellow attacker. Gediminus Stauskas, known as LaLa, died around eight hours after he was attacked by Sikorskas. Following his fatal attack, tape was placed over a head wound and a helmet was put over his head.
Sikorskas entered a plea of guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Stauskas, causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Grigorius Sviridovas and possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence at Dungannon Crown Court, sitting in Belfast.
The court heard how Mr Stauskas body was discovered in the upstairs area of a garage at Moor Road, Coalisland on 15th October, 2015.
Two other Lithuanian nationals, 29-year-old Marius Dzimisevicius from Pomeroy and 43-year-old Dmitrijus Indrisiunas from Coalisland each admitted withholding information in the aftermath of the death of Mr Stauskas.
The prosecution revealed that Mr Stauskas and Sikorskas seriously assaulted a third Lithuanian, Grigorius Sviridovas, through the 13th-14th of October.
It was disclosed that after telling Mr Sviridovas to come to the garage where Dmitrijus Indristunas ran a business. They insisted that he take Cocaine, smoke Heroin and drink with them.
Mr Sviridovas was then the subject of a lengthy attack at the hands of two other men in the office area of the garage. He was struck with an iron bar and made to phone an ex-partner in Germany to tell her he was being rehabilitated.
He was then forced to shoot himself in the thigh and the wound was later cauterised by Sikorskas using a knife he washed in brandy.
Badly injured he was unable to see the fatal incident that resulted in the death of Mr Stauskas but said it sounded like Sikorskas lifted Mr Stauskas and threw him to the floor.
The Crown QC said a plea to manslaughter was accepted as Sikorskas claims he struck the deceased to the body with considerable force with the palm of his hand, causing him to fall forcefully to the floor and strike his head.
“To cause the severity of the injury to his head, which later caused his death, his head must have struck something in the fall, such as machinery which lay around the garage floor," said the Crown QC.
The Court heard that Mr Sviridovas was then carried out of the office by Sikorskas, where Mr Stauskas was lying on the ground. At some point Mr Stauskas regained consciousness and was able to stand and lean against a wall.
An effort was made to place Mr Stauskas in the front seat of the car in the garage, and he had tape applied to a wound on his head. A blanket was put round him and a helmet was put on his head.
Mr Sviridovas was eventually dropped home by Dmitrijus Indristunas. Marius Dzimisevicius then drove Sikorskas to an address in Coalisland.
Once home, Mr Sviridovas went to a friend's house and then to Craigavon Hospital by ambulance. He had sustained multiple wounds including a fractured femur and burns to his neck and shoulders.
The attack was described by Madam Justice McBride as "sustained" and with a "significant use of violence used". She also spoke of the lasting impact the "degrading" attack had on the victim.
A Police investigation led to the discovery of Mr Stauskas being discovered in the upstairs area of the garage on Thursday, 15th October, 2015.
He died from a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain.
Sikorskas evaded arrest for five days and was finally apprehended on 20th October while both Indrisiunas and Dzimisevicius were arrested the following month.
During sentencing, Madam Justice McBride said that after reading a victim impact statement from the deceased's sister, it was clear that Mr Stauskas' death had a "devastating impact" on his family.
She noted that the man shot and tortured in the garage has been left with both physical and psychological problems, has undergone surgery three times and now lives in constant fear.
However, accepting that the beating of Mr Sviridovas and the death of Mr Stauskas was done whilst Sikorskas was under the influence of drink and drugs, Madam Justice McBride handed the father of one a sentence of 11 years.
As he has been deemed dangerous, Sikorskas will not be automatically deemed eligible for release after serving half of his sentence. Once the 11-year sentence is served, he will spend an additional four years on licence.
Dzimisevicius and Indrisiunas were each sentenced to 12 months in prison suspended for two years.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete