Youthful Swifts exit Mid-Ulster Cup

Wednesday, 2 November 2016

A VERY youthful Dungannon Swifts were comprehensively beaten by local rivals Glenavon in the quarter final of the Mid-Ulster Cup.

Dungannon Swifts...0

Two goals from Andy McGrory and a strike apiece from Greg Moorhouse, Guy Bates and Declan O'Brien saw the Lurgan men coast into the semi finals, where they will play Armagh City.

The Dungannon side tried to play football throughout and carved out some good chances of their own, but the greater experience in the home side proved to be the difference.

Ronan Young in particular showed some good touches and put in a few decent set play deliveries, while half time substitutes Sam Haugh and Tommy Roscoe provided a threat up top.

Both sides' attentions were firmly fixed on league matches at the weekend, and, with the Swifts being in action on Friday night, it was always likely they would be resting players.

Only three first team regulars were on the pitch; Kris Lowe, Terry Fitzpatrick and Paul McElroy.

Glenavon were in control right from the outset and had a couple of opportunities in the opening 15 minutes before taking the lead with 22 minutes on the clock.

Bobby Burns played the ball down the left for Guy Bates, who found some space and dug out a fine cross for Greg Moorhouse to rise highest and head home.

It was soon two, Andy McGrory scoring from the penalty spot after Stuart Addis had brought down Guy Bates.

Glenavon made it three just past the half hour mark with a sweeping counter attack goal.

Andy McGrory played a fine ball with the outside of his right foot from the left side, finding Guy Bates on the right. Bates cut in on his left foot and curled a superb strike into the top corner.

Dungannon responded and finally had a meaningful effort on goal after 35 minutes, but it was quite an effort, Terry Fitzpatrick smashing his left footed half volley off the crossbar.

Greg Moorhouse threatened again for Glenavon, but saw his effort well blocked by Dale Robinson on the line.

Another fine chance fell to Terry Fitzpatrick in the closing stages of the half, but his effort was well wide.

Both sides made changes at the break, with Dungannon giving first team debuts to Sam Haugh and Tommy Roscoe.

However, it was Glenavon who continued to create the majority of the chances, with Andy McGrory and Kevin Braniff both forcing saves from Stuart Addis.

Glenavon were sharp on the counter attack and should have made it four just past the hour mark, Declan O'Brien being played in by a fine Guy Bates through ball, but he scooped his effort wide.

Once more Terry Fitzpatrick had an opportunity a few minutes later, his first time left footed effort flying over the bar after connecting with a left wing cross.

The Swifts had another decent opportunity on 75 minutes, Sam Haugh played in by a fine Tommy Roscoe pass, but his effort was well saved.

But it was Glenavon who got on the score sheet again, a Kyle Neill corner was met by O'Brien, whose effort and then another from Bates was blocked, with Andy McGrory pouncing on the loose ball to poke home.

And Glenavon made it 5-0 with three minutes left on the clock, Guy Bates feeding O'Brien and he turned Seanan Clucas inside out before coolly stroking the ball past Addis in the Dungannon goal.

Dungannon Swifts - Stuart Addis, Caolan Coyle, Dale Robinson (Tommy Roscoe 46), Kris Lowe, Shea Geraghty, Terry Fitzpatrick, Ruairi McDonald, Seanan Clucas, Rhyss Campbell, Ronan Young (Mark Kelly 82), Paul McElroy (Sam Haugh 46).

Subs - Craig Robinson, Owen McConville.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete