Fivemiletown earn shock win to keep Irish Cup dream alive

Wednesday, 9 November 2016

A SENSATIONAL late comeback saw Fivemiletown United progress to the fourth round of the Irish Cup for the first time in the club's history.

Fivemiletown United...5

At 4-2 down with only 12 minutes on the clock, the Valley man battered their opponents in a late onslaught that sent a vociferous home crowd wild.

In a bright start, Newington forced Matty Quinn into an early save before Matty Callaghan fired a close range header over the bar.

Ricki Carroll then broke down the right and crossed for the in-form Kane Connor who fired his 22 yard effort just past the far post.

Ricki Carroll then broke through on 24 minutes, and touched the ball past the 'keeper who was committed. Carroll took to the air after a clumsy challenge and the referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Gillespie stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way and the home side were a goal up.

Thereafter followed a five minute spell which could have seen Fivemiletown out of sight. Carroll burst through on goal again before shooting wide, before Fulton fired a left footed effort over the bar from a difficult angle.

Newingtown then settled and found their feet and left the home side stung, with goals on 29, 36 and 39 minutes. Three crosses, three conversions, and the home side didn't know what had hit them, and it was the Valley men hoping for the half time whistle.

Half-time saw the introduction of Bell at full back, as Sherry moved intocentre half for the ill Trotter.

In the very first attack of the second half, a lofted Gillespie pass sent Carroll scampering through the middle and he powered his effort past the away goalkeeper to keep his team in the tie. Ten minutes later the same player had a great chance to level but missed his header from six yards.

Newington broke down the right hand side and after a cross, the Newington striker had time to control and blast past Quinn in goal.

At 4-2, some may have thought the game was up. But this Fivemiletown side has character.

A Davy Little corner was prodded home by Nathan Sherry on 65 minutes, and the home side smelled blood. Paul Baron replaced Carroll and Glen Clarke came on for the injured Simon Johnston, and this seemed to give the Valley men the lift that they needed to go and win the game.

Another Little corner kick saw Matty Callaghan nip in and convert at the near post and draw the game level at 4-4, and all of a sudden Newington were the side looking for the referee's whistle.

The home crowd were in full voice at this point, and only 90 seconds later it was 5-4. A Kane Connnor cross from the right saw the former Ballinamallard hit-man tap home and send his side into the fourth round draw.

“We were exceptional all over the pitch," said manager Robinson. "It truly was a squad effort, and in that last 10 minutes, our supporters were top drawer, and helped us over the line. Fair play to Newingtown for contributing to a fantastic Cup tie, and we wish them well".

Fivemiletown will play Ballymacash Rangers at the Valley Stadium on Saturday, with a 2.15pm kick off.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete