Swifts see their way past Dergview in cup

Wednesday, 11 January 2017

Swifts see their way past Dergview in cup thumbnailPaul McElroy attempts to put a cross in the box.

THE Swifts safely made their way into the sixth round of the Irish Cup after a comfortable win over fellow Tyrone men Dergview.

Dungannon Swifts...3

After an even, drab first 40 minutes, Dungannon sprang to life with two quick goals through Jarlath O'Rourke and Cormac Burke.

A third soon followed four minutes into the second half, Andrew Mitchell adding to his impressive goal tally.

From there on the Swifts were able to coast into the hat for the sixth round, where they were paired with Mid-Ulster League side Dollingstown, again at home.

In an insipid opening 20 minutes, Dergview had the only opportunity, but Ryan Campbell tripped over the ball when played in on the edge of the area.

There was a welcome flurry of activity midway through the half, with Campbell again to the fore for the visitors, his acrobatic effort forcing a save from Coleman in the Swifts goal.

Dungannon went straight forward and some good play down the left saw McMahon feed the ball through to Teggart who slid to his right for Burke to shoot from 25 yards and his fine strike was parried away by Dergview goalkeeper Kealan Mulcahy.

Ally Teggart threatened a minute later after being played in by Jarlath O'Rourke, but his effort was deflected just wide.

Dergview responded a few moments later, Ivan Sproule hitting the side netting with a well struck effort, tricking a few visiting supporters into thinking he had broken the deadlock.

The game settled back into its previous dull rhythm, with only another effort from distance by Burke, well saved by Mulcahy, punctuating the tedium.

Peter McMahon passed up by far the best chance of the game to that point on 40 minutes after being played through by David Armstrong. He was clean through, but his effort straight off the onrushing Mulcahy.

However, the Swifts were to make the breakthrough on 42 minutes and in a style befitting the rest of the match.

An Andrew Mitchell cross could only be pushed out by the diving Mulcahy and Gareth Falconer's attempted clearance struck Jarlath O'Rourke and rebounded into the net.

That seemed to liven the game up and Dergview had a fine opportunity to level the scores just over a minute later.

Very neat interplay between Kyle Friel Curran and Nathan Cashel saw the former go through on goal. He beat Andy Coleman with his effort but David Armstrong got back to clear off the line.

And Dergview were made to pay right on half time.

Cormac Burke faked a give and go with Peter McMahon and instead swivelled on the ball and fired a fine strike into the goalkeeper's bottom right hand corner.

While Dergview might have been hoping to quickly get back into the game in the second half, they had a nightmare start.

A high ball bounced into their penalty area, Mulcahy lost his footing and Andrew Mitchell ran on to the loose ball to strike home from a tight angle with his weaker right foot to make it 3-0 on 49 minutes.

Dergview had a chance to immediately reduce the arrears but a Thomas Wray header from a corner went wide, when he really should have done better.

Mitchell very nearly had his second and Dungannon's fourth shortly after, but his right footed effort smashed against the crossbar after he had been played in by McMahon.

The visitors huffed and puffed to find a way back into the match, but struggled to create any clear cut chances.

However, a fine opportunity did come their way with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Ivan Sproule did well down the right, and got a shot away from a tight angle. It was blocked by Wilson and rebounded to Sproule, whose second effort from close range was well saved by Coleman. A goalmouth scramble ensue but the ball just wouldn't quite fall for Dergview and Dungannon managed to clear.

From the resulting attack, some neat attacking play saw Jamie Glackin spray a fine ball to Kris Lowe at the far post. He attempted to take it first time but his well struck effort went askew.

It mattered little as the Swifts comfortably held on to safely progress.

The Swifts return to league action this weekend when they travel to take on Ballymena United. Kick off at the Showgrounds this Saturday, 14 January is at 3pm.

Dungannon Swifts - Andy Coleman, Kris Lowe, David Armstrong, Douglas Wilson, Jarlath O'Rourke (Seanan Clucas 68), Ryan Harpur, Jamie Glackin, Ally Teggart, Cormac Burke, Peter McMahon (Paul McElroy 68), Andrew Mitchell (Stefan Lavery 55)

Unused subs - Stuart Addis, Chris Hegarty.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete