Sloppy second half proves costly for depleated Dungannon Swifts

Wednesday, 15 February 2017

Sloppy second half proves costly for depleated Dungannon Swifts thumbnailCormac Burke beats his man and finds some space

A BRIGHT start by Rodney McAree's men was ruined by a sloppy second half that allowed the hosts to grab all three points.

Coleraine FC....2
Dungannon Swifts...1

There was little of note in the opening half hour as the game started slowly. However in the 37th minute the game sparked to life as the Swifts started to camp in the final third.

The game's first action came from the Swifts, who attacked down the left wing with O'Roruke delivering a teasing ball across the box.

It was cleared by Coleraine but the landed at the feet of Glackin, who fed a through ball for Chris Lowe who let the ball run past him before taking a tumble in the box after being tripped by a Coleraine defender.

The referee pointed to the spot and Ryan Harpur stepped up to dispatch the ball cooly into the back of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

Despite the 'keeper guessing the correct side the pin-point strike found the corner of the net.

In the second half Coleraine's McConaghie played a long ball forward that was headed clear by Allan. However, his clearance fell to McCauley who hit the ball on the half volley.

The strike struck Burns and the referee deemed the block a deliberate handball, pointed to spot and booked Burns despite his protests.

McCauley stepped up on his 90th appearance for the Bannsiders and made no mistake chipping the ball into the top right corner of the net to bring the hosts level in the 52nd minute.

With the game all squared and the homeside sensing they could find a winner, the game was made harder for the Swifts on the hour mark as Seanan Clucas was shown a straight red card for a kicking Lyndon Kane as he lay on the ground following a late challenge from the Swift's midfielder.

Five minutes later the Bannsiders had the chance to take the lead as McConaghie's free-kick found the head of McLaughlin but his looping header went over the bar.

Despite being reduced to 10-men the Swifts hung on and almost won it as Chris Lowe was sent though but sent his effort agonisingly wide.

Minutes later and Coleraine went close as McCauley's cross was cleared and fell to See on the edge of the box who hit his effort narrowly wide.

The hosts clinched the winner in the 71st minute with a long ball from McConaghie finding the the head of McLaughlin who beat Coleman to the ball and his looping header found the back of the net.

Speaking after the game Dungannon Swifts boss Rodney McAree expressed his disappointment with his sides second half performance.

“It was disappointing to be honest," admitted Rodney. "We spoke at half-time about keeping our discipline, keeping our shape and making it difficult for Coleraine.

“We didn't do any of that unfortunately, we conceded a penalty kick and then we lost a man through a silly mistake."

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Coleman, Wilson, Armstong, Glackin (McElroy), Harpur, O'Rourke (Lockhart), Burns, Lowe, Clucas, Burke (Fitzpatrick), McMahon. Subs not used: Addis, Teggart


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete