Edendork move clear of Division 1 drop zone

Wednesday, 26 July 2017

Greencastle 0-16 Edendork 2-1. EDENDORK took a massive step in the right direction as they fight to avoid the drop, coming from six points behind to win by three against fellow strugglers Greencastle.
This relegation battle was a real four-pointer, and one which both sides needed to win to lift themselves out of the danger zone.
And it appeared to be going in favour of the home side when they turned around with a comfortable lead.
But the St Malachy's blitzed their opponents with a 1-5 salvo in the opening seven minutes of the second half, and although Greencastle got themselves back on level terms, they conceded a second goal, which proved decisive.
This starred game saw Edendork field without their county players, Niall Morgan and Darren McCurry, while Greencastle's Cahir McCullagh was also forced to sit it out.
Paul Donaghy had Edendork in front after just 20 seconds, and the same player converted a free to cancel out Mark Carson's opener.
But the home side had the wind in their backs, and began to move with purpose, hitting three on the spin to go two ahead inside the first ten minutes.
Noel Conway and Dan Tuohey combined to send Peter Teague in for a point, and another Carson free put them ahead for the first time.
Carson was on target again, before Edendork recovered from a difficult spell to go back on the attack, hitting two points in the space of 30 seconds.
Conn Kilpatrick fetched high at midfield to send Stephen Gervin in for the first of his four scores, and a poor kick-out gave Harry Og Conlan the easiest of tasks in sending over the equaliser.
However, with Barry McGarvey and Conor Carson pressing forward from the back, and Peter Fox and Peter Teague getting to grips with the midfield battle, the St Patrick's dominated the second quarter.
Tuohey led a break from defence that presented Carson with another paced ball opportunity which he converted, and the busy Chris Gillen curled over a neat score.
Carson's fifth from five attempts opened up a three points gap, and they opened up the St Malachy's defence to create a goal chance. Tuohey and Teague combined to send Paddy McElhatton in, but he fired his shot wide at the far post.
Conor Carson broke up an Edendork raid to start the move that Kevin Clarke finished off with a point, and the outlook was even better for the home side when Clarke slotted over his second for a five points lead.
The visitors had gone 18 minutes without a score until Conlan, who lined out at midfield but spent much of the game operating at full forward, drifted back to the central area to win a high ball and send Gervin through for a point.
But Greencastle responded immediately, with Carson bringing his tally to seven, another free and a neat score from play, created by the industrious Teague.
They led by 0-11 to 0-5 at the break, but the game turned dramatically in Edendork's favour as they made an explosive start to the second half, hitting 1-5 in the opening seven minutes to take control.
Wing back Stephen Corr had a big hand in their brilliant comeback, hitting two points and also playing a big part in the opening goal.
It was Corr's long, dropping delivery that created panic in the Greencastle rearguard, and when they failed to clear, Jake Ferguson nipped in to first-time the ball to the net.
Substitute Jarlath O'Rourke added some invention to the St Malachy's attack, and he also got his name on the score-sheet, with Conlan, Gervin and Donaghy adding points to wipe out Greencastle's seemingly comfortable and make it a three points game in their opponents' favour.
The home side, having failed to score in the third quarter, set about dragging themselves back into the game, with McGarvey and Teague carrying the fight to the visitors.
And they got back level with three points on the run, another Carson free, followed by a superbly struck McGarvey effort off the outside of his right boot.,
Sean Fox brought them level in the 48th minute on the counter-attack, moments after Donaghy had seen a shot come back off a post at the other end.
But Greencastle's renewed hope was shattered again by a second Edendork goal. Gervin and Donaghy provided the quick hands, before Daire Conway crossed for Conlan to palm to the net past Collie Tuohey.
Edendork had to defend with vigour in the closing ten minutes as Greencastle swept forward again, but Tommy Lowe, Donal Maneely and Lorcan Conlon kept their opponents out.
Substitute Gavin Slane and Carson, with another free, were on target, but the St Malachy's were able to respond through Conlan and Gervin, who both hit superb points in the closing stages.
Greencastle scorers: Mark Carson 0-8 (7 frees), Peter Teague, Kevin Clarke 0-2 each, Chris Gillen, Barry McGarvey, Sean Fox, Gavin Slane 0-1 each.
Edendork scorers: Harry Og Conlan 1-3, Jake Ferguson 1-0, Stephen Gervin 0-4, Paul Donaghy 0-3 (2 frees), Stephen Corr 0-2, Jarlath O'Rourke 0-1.
Greencastle: Collie Tuohey; Noel Conway, Mark Conway, Niall Hollywood; Barry McGarvey, Conor Carson, Seamus Warnock; Peter Fox, Peter Teague; Chris Gillen, Kevin Clarke, Dan Tuohey; Sean Fox, Mark Carson, Paddy McElhatton.
Sub: Gavin Slane for McElhatton.
Edendork: Mark McReynolds; Lorcn Conlon, Tommy Lowe, Paddy Donnelly; Daire Conway, Donal Maneely, Stephen Corr; Conn Kilpatrick, Harry Og Conlan; Sean Donnelly, Stephen Gervin, Jake Ferguson; Ryan McCurry, Paul Donaghy, Conor Cullen.
Subs: Jarlath O'Rourke for Cullen, Ciaran Hughes for McCurry.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete