Coagh turn Corner over

Wednesday, 22 November 2017

Coagh turn Corner over thumbnailCoagh United recently unveiled their new away kit. Captain James Ferguson is pictured along with Lee Dallas and Thomas McKeown of QMac Silos who are the new sponsors of the away team kit.

COAGH United continued their excellent run of form with a fourth league win in a row last Saturday when they defeated Chimney Corner in a superb 7-0 home win.

Coagh United...7
Chimney Corner...0

The home side were strong from the whistle and on just seven minutes Dan McKinless opened the goal-fest when he found himself unmarked in the goal mouth, and easily slotted the ball into the net.

Only three minutes later the on form striker doubled his tally after a brilliant pass from Stuart Glasgow to Jamie Tomelty, who then decisively crossed the ball to McKinless, who again easily found the back of the net.

Coagh United continued the pressure on goal and once again, McKinless made use of an excellent cross from Jamie Tomelty to make it 3-0 on 16 minutes.

Not content with an impressive early lead, Coagh United were relentless on the Chimney Corner defence and it was captain, James Ferguson who next added his name to the score sheet on 26 minutes. Once again with an assist from Jamie Tomelty, the skipper skilfully chipped the hapless keeper to make it 4-0.

Luck was most certainly not in Chimney Corner's favour, as on 42 minutes the referee awarded a penalty to Coagh United for a handball. The honour fell to Jamie Tomelty, who sent the keeper the wrong way and gave the home side an impressive 5-0 lead at half time.

Despite the odds not looking good, Chimney Corner refused to lie down in the second half, and they continued to make attempts on goal, the closest of which was from the feisty Tony McDaid.

Coagh United made two substitutes, bringing on Stefan Thompson and Andy Neill to replace Ferguson and McKinless.

The second he was on, Thompson had his sights set on goal but the crossbar denied his efforts, twice in one minute. Minutes later the frustrated striker was in an excellent scoring position but his shot went wide.

On 72 minutes, Willie Ferguson sent a delightful chip over the Chimney Corner keeper to score the first goal of the second half.

Three minutes later, Thompson was in front of goal but unselfishly passed the ball across the goal mouth to Andy Neill who was unmarked and finished to round off a fine 7-0 win.

The win puts Coagh United at the top of an extremely competitive league. Coagh hope to hold onto this spot next Saturday, when they are at home in the league to Ballynure Old Boys, with a 2pm kick off.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete