Swifts fail to stem tide of title-chasing Bannsiders.

Wednesday, 17 January 2018

Swifts fail to stem tide of title-chasing Bannsiders. thumbnailReferee Raymond Hetherington seeks assistance following the collision between Swifts midfielders Douglas Wilson and Seanan Clucas.

AN EOIN Bradley chipped finish was enough to seal three points for Coleraine at Dungannon Swifts on Saturday past.

Dungannon Swifts...0

The Swifts had held out for an extended period of time against Oran Kearney's title challengers, but the Bannsiders finally broke down Rodney McAree men's resistance in the closing stages.

Of perhaps more concern to the Swifts on the day was the unpleasant clash of heads between their midfielders Seanan Clucas and Dougie Wilson.

Thankfully, both returned home safe and sound by Sunday.

The match on Saturday at Stangmore Park took a little while to get going and it was the visitors who had the first effort of note, Aaron Traynor smashing an effort well over.

Ryan Mayse then threatened at the other end for Dungannon, but his effort from the edge of the area just cleared the crossbar of Coleraine stopper Chris Johns, a Dungannon United Youth graduate.

Coleraine then came within a whisker of opening the scoring, demonstrating their tremendous counter attacking pace when breaking forward midway through the half, but Josh Carson's well-struck effort was deflected into the side netting.

Carson threatened again a few minutes later, but once more his effort was off target.

Then came the collision between Clucas and Wilson. Both men went up for a header and clashed heads in a very unpleasant, painful looking manner.

Wilson was immediately replaced by Grant Hutchinson, while Seanan Clucas attempted to run it off but was unable to and Peter McMahon came on in his place.

Despite the double blow around the half hour mark, the Swifts had the next effort on goal and it was new boy Mark Patton who threatened, his shot after cutting in from the left flank was tipped over by Johns as the first half ended goalless.

The Swifts exerted a degree of control over the opening stages of the second half and Paul McElroy passed up a fine chance, taking a touch too long after being played through and a defender was able to track back and deflect his effort behind for a corner, which came to nothing.

Dungannon did have the ball in the net a few minutes later but it was chalked off as the man who turned home McMahon's pass, Ryan Mayse, was adjudged to have been offside.

Coleraine came back into the game in the latter stages and threatened through Stephen Dooley, but Coleman was quick off his line to deny the Bannsiders new boy.

However, he was powerless to stop Bradley a few minutes later when the former Glenavon man broke through and chipped over the onrushing Dungannon netminder to bag all three points.

Next up for the Swifts is a League Cup semi final clash at home to Crusaders, with kick off tonight (Tuesday) at Stangmore Park at 7.45pm.

Dungannon Swifts - Andy Coleman, Kris Lowe, Chris Hegarty, David Armstrong, Jarlath O'Rourke, Seanan Clucas (Peter McMahon), Dougie Wilson (Grant Hutchinson), Ryan Harpur, Mark Patton (Johnny Lafferty), Paul McElroy, Ryan Mayse.

Unused subs - Ally Teggart, Cormac Burke.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete